Monday, November 20, 2023

Auditory collage

Well, if there is such a thing as an "auditory collage", we put one together as a group on Saturday. I have been playing guitar with my dear friend "Goody" for 25 years now (along with our friend Gabe Lockwood for 7 or 8 years). They have both been involved with various bands for years. When the three of us get together we mostly "jam" (although I prefer to call it "improvisational playing"). One of us will start with some "riff" we have been working on (or we will start playing a riff that we have played before), and then each of us will join in and add texture. The tempo and melody can change as auditory ideas emerge through our playing. It's so much like the way I approach my collage-making... and I love it! I can play guitar well enough to do cover songs. But I typically don't -- partially because I'm lazy; and partially because that kind of playing doesn't fulfill my need for creativity and spontaneity. I sometimes tell people, I like to create music more than playing music (i.e., like playing cover songs). But by no means am I opposed to playing cover songs (I've been working on a couple. "Neil Young's "Down by the River", for example). Goody visited from Boston this weekend, and Gabe was in town (we haven't played together for a while). I was excited to get together and create! I also invited special guests Colin Hubbel (guitar) and Anthony Bianco (keyboard/synth) to sit-in. I suspected they had a similar approach to improvisational music-making. WOW! We had a great session on Saturday evening! So good for the soul to create music improvisationally with such good musicians! Soon, I will get back to the wonderful world of making collages. But for now, I am enjoying basking in the memories of making an auditory collage with other artists.

L to R: Me, Gabe, Goody








No comments:

Post a Comment