Thursday, October 16, 2014

Faces conference in Athens, Georgia

On Sunday, I am heading to Athens, GA for a small humanities conference which will focus on the "Phenomenology of Faces". The conference is organized jointly by folks at The State University at Albany (SUNY, Albany) and Nomadikon (a group out of The University of Bergen in Norway). I will be presenting a paper about the intersections of neuroscience, psychology and art. I will be specifically discussing "face detector" neurons in the temporal lobe of the brain and artwork by 16th Century artist Guiseppe Arcimboldo; 20th Century artist Salvador Dali and contemporary collage artist John Stezaker. If you are not already familiar with Stezaker's work, it's really worth checking out. I would refer to him as a "minimalist" collage artist as most of his pieces consist of two or three elements. I love his work! Here are a couple of examples...



1 comment: