Saturday, November 19, 2022

KAYLA SPIVEY exhibit, "From the Ashes"

When I had my solo exhibition at 4 Elements Studio in 2021, I gave an artist's talk about my collage work. A couple days after that presentation, I got an e-mail from Kayla Spivey, who was a resident artist at 4 Elements at the time. She told me that she enjoyed my talk and was interested in talking to me more about art and creativity. Since then, we have spent lots of time texting and talking about the creative process and art-making. This fall, Kayla had her first solo exhibition, at 4 Elements Studio. It was a wonderful exhibit featuring an impressive and ambitious project for which she made hundreds of ceramic tiles which she pressed with fabric (before firing) and meticulously hand-painted. She used her background in chemistry (she has a bachelor's and master's degree in chemistry-related areas) to work on paint composition, and to work on developing the correct composition of materials so that she could incorporate her mother's ashes into the work. The results were beautiful and powerfully emotional/psychological. I had the honor of introducing her at the opening. But unfortunately and sadly, Kayla contracted COVID, and missed the opening. The many folks in attendance loved the work, of course.







No comments:

Post a Comment