Sunday, January 24, 2021

collections

As most collagists are keenly aware, collecting is part of the medium of collage. Rummaging through vintage bookstores, perusing what is going up for bidding at auctions, and dickering at a garage sales are all part of the fountain of fun in which we partake as collage artists. I probably have enough material in my studio to do quality collages for 10 years. But I am SO looking forward to hunting for more elements when the pandemic settles down (even though I really don't need any more)! I consider these activities as part of the mosaic of our medium. Over the years, in addition to collecting elements for collage compositions, I have collected a myriad of frames. When I can get them cheap, I get them. One of my problems, however, is that when I create a collage of which I am particularly fond, I want to "treat it" accordingly -- which typically means having a special frame made for the piece (which means $$). So recently, I have been trying to use some of the frames in the collection of frames I have accumulated over the years. Last Friday evening, I experimented with this Roccoco-style frame. Interestingly, I am really liking the minimalist color palette produced by the vintage patina of these elements. I would consider these "sketches" at this point; but they are something worth pursuing perhaps.



No comments:

Post a Comment