Saturday, May 18, 2013

cropping

Now that my classes are over for a while, I am hoping to do a little more artwork. In addition, I am hoping to do a bit more posting on this site. But of course, even though classes are over, there's always time for learning! Afterall, I am an educator. I thought I would focus on "cropping" for this post. Last night I came across this nostalgic image from an Ovaltine advertisement.
I will likely use this image in an upcoming work. One of the first things I do is to crop the image in various ways to "discover" the best cropped image to work from. Here are some possibilities:





As you can see, each one has its own character; with the focus on various components of the image. I will probably "go with" the first cropping as it balances the yellow backgrounds (both in terms of position in the image and in shape). So many possibilities. In a way it reminds me of the cropped photography work of Richard Prince. What do you think?

1 comment: