Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The Departure after The Return

 In 2015, I created a piece that I entitled "The Return". It was a bit of a haunting piece, and was popular at a solo exhibition that I had at The Other Side (Utica, NY). One of my friends -- Jimmy -- bought it quickly; and a number of other folks were interested in acquiring it as well. Jimmy passed away a couple years ago, and his wife Karen moved from Utica to Pennsylvania just this past year. While I was helping her with the move, I asked if she was interested in selling the piece back to me (since another friend of mine had always wanted it... and was still interested). Karen assured me that, although she was getting rid of lots of her (and Jimmy's) stuff, that she would never get rid of my artwork (or art book). That made me feel good. This past week, I finished a piece that I had not originally planned on being "related" to The Return, but that turned out to be what I thought was a "prequel" to that previous work. But it's a bit of an odd "prequel" since the individual "departing" is an older man, relative to the return of a young child. Of course, this adds to the surrealistic nature of both pieces, and I hope provokes the viewer's own intepretation of what's going on. I'm hoping to have another solo exhibit in 2024, and I am hoping to borrow The Return to show next to The Departure.

The Return

The Departure

No comments:

Post a Comment