Sunday, October 8, 2023

Inspired by Ray Johnson (again)

I've been working on a new piece in my studio and, atypically, I am searching for an element that I am 99% sure I have laying around somewhere in my studio. I say "atypically", because I usually don't have a particular element in mind when my experimentation occurs -- my compositions tend to be emergent (as I have written about a number of times). I can't seem to be able to find what I am looking for. But in the meantime, it is providing me with motivation to clean-up and organize my mess-of-a-studio. I came across this element, which I had decided not to use previously, but had punched a hole out of. Just for fun, I decided to put my finger through the hole and take a "selfie". I was motivated to do this partly because of my interest in the artwork and creative processes of Ray Johnson. I knew that he had done a piece through which he put his hands. When I showed the photograph of me with my finger through the element to my wife and a couple friends, it kind of freaked them out (well, it is weird, and hints of something obscene... which was not my intent). But I think in the context of Ray Johnson's work and the notion that one can "participate" in one's collage, it might not be so weird (but still a little weird). Perhaps entitled, "Selfie, with the trunk in the front"




No comments:

Post a Comment