Monday, December 14, 2020

COVID update

Well, the good news is that I am alive and "well" and have managed to avoid the COVID virus thus far. My last post occurred two months ago, because I have been a bit overwhelmed with the work I had to do to manage what I think turned out being a somewhat successful semester. The school -- Utica College -- at which I teach psychology classes, did a GREAT job keeping faculty, staff and students safe (although we had 40-50 COVID cases; none of which were serious enough to require hospitalizations, because of constant testing and contact tracing). Anyway, the level of stress caused by juggling on-line and hybrid classes for close to 100 students , as well as staying healthy, was quite challenging. And I will admit, I am still grieving over the death of my sister Kathy and my "baby girl" dog Frida. In addition, one of my best friends lost both parents this summer/fall, and I lost another friend with whom I had dinner every other week (pre-COVID). Another friend of mine lost her mother to COVID; and I also found out that my graduate school advisor passed away from a brain tumor as well. Yes, so 2020 is the year that just keeps on giving <sarcasm, of course>. Too much death. In addition to that, one of my best friends and his family currently are working their way through being positive with COVID; and the guy who does my framing and his family have it as well (IT'S REAL FOLKS!). And of course, American politics has been a depressing mess. My desire to do anything creative seemed to die this fall as well (even though you might think I could find "refuge" in my creative endeavors). I have been worried about it too -- depressed really -- and that, in itself was contributing to the nadir of creativity, and the stress (a vicious cycle, as they say). BUT... more good news is... since I have completed the grading for the semester (I have just some finishing touches left), I have been down in the studio several times and feel great about exploring and creating again! I will be down there again today, of course! And I'm happy to say that I have a few sketches that might turn into finished compositions. That's a good thing -- especially now, since I am scheduled for a solo exhibit in April at 4 Elements Studio, in rica, NY!!! I only hope that COVID will be under control so that we can have an in-person exhibit. I will post some of my sketches and works in progress very soon. I hope this post finds all y'all well. Be safe, and be kind.

1 comment:

  1. Well done you! To survive through grief, a pandemic, and political upheaval is not too shabby. Stay well and keep on creating. Love your work, and hope you find 2021 much more inspiring. Happy Christmas Steve!

    ReplyDelete