Wednesday, December 25, 2019

one fish, two fish...

I probably should have waited to post all three of the fish pieces together; but I wasn't exactly sure if I would get the third piece done in time for the show. I had a great Christmas Day in the studio and got it done (also got another one done and will post it tomorrow). The show to which I am referring will be up at The Tech Garden (Syracuse, NY) next month (Jan.) and has a fish theme (Steve Nyland is the curator). Interestingly, some animal rights folks have contacted him, complaining about animal abuse!? I guess they misunderstood what an art exhibit is all about. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the exhibit. I had a bit of an epiphany about my artwork while working on my fish pieces. My work is typically small format (usually no larger than 11" x 14"), partially because of my style and the fact that I do analog collage and thus do no photocopying or enlarging. Of course, galleries and collectors like and pay for larger pieces. Sometimes I have felt badly about that, and have contemplated doing larger works. But I'm comfortable with my voice and my use of smaller format artwork. My epiphany? Well, jewelers typically make "small format" pieces that sometimes sell for lots of money. So, I guess I'll just conceptualize my work as akin to pieces of jewelry. I certainly spend LOTS of time on my art, working out minute details. So anyway, here's my third fish piece for the exhibit at The Tech Garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment