Saturday, May 25, 2019

Collages from Kirkland Museum in Denver

I just returned from a trip to Denver. It was a bit of a debacle. I was suppose to play golf at a beautiful resort course called Fossil Trace; but they got about an inch of snow on Monday and I was sick with a head/chest cold (in a hotel bed) for most of the time there! On Thursday, however, I was able to venture out a bit with my wife and went to the Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art in downtown Denver (named after Colorado artist Vance Kirkland). The museum featured mostly furniture, jewelry and ceramics; but had a fair amount of framed paintings as well (focusing mostly on Colorado-based artists, living and deceased). I would HIGHLY recommend a visit to this museum... it's wonderful!. Anyway, here are a number of collages that were featured in the collection. The first three are works by Barbara Locketz - which include metal panels (2nd and 3rd pieces); The next piece reminds me a bit of Kurt Schwitters; but is by artist, George Cecil Carter; The next piece reminds me of Jean Arp's work and is by artist, James Mills; the last piece shown here is my favorite of the group and is by Emilio Lobato.




No comments:

Post a Comment