Friday, April 24, 2015

from the depths of the beginning

As I write this entry, I can't help but hear in my mind the old Emerson, Lake and Palmer song "From the Beginning" (I love that song!). My QR code piece is finished and the show is hung in Syracuse, NY. I'm looking forward to the opening at The Tech Garden next Thursday evening! And although I have a boat-load of grading to do for the end of the semester, I am excited to be exploring and prepping for some new collage work! I thought I would share three of the raw elements that I have coated this week. It's always interesting for me to be "at the beginning" of the process with elements like these. I don't really know what will become of the images here or even whether they will end up in a finished composition. But I do love these images. As a teacher, I would tell anyone interested in collage to always be on the lookout for images that  include inherent depth cues (such as these). Although I have seen hundreds of collages that use a "flat field" approach to composition -- to great effect -- I much prefer a composition with strong depth cues.


No comments:

Post a Comment