Sunday, November 3, 2019

tonight's sketch

This piece is not finished (as can easily be seen), but I thought I'd post it anyway. I've been trying to clean out some materials that have been laying around the studio for a while. The nautical map and the vintage image of the boy and man have both been around for over a year in my studio. I absolutely love the color of the boy and man; and I am really intrigued by the boy's expression (or lack thereof). The structure on the horizon is an ornate vase which I had prepared for the piece with the rose... but had mentioned that it was to intricate (it would have "competed" with the flowers). The women statues on the side and the borders are all from those 1870s publication The Art Journal. Such beautiful elements!
BTW, an update about my previous post... it was NOT accepted into a juried small works show at Main Street Gallery in Clifton Springs (NY). I was kind of bummed about it. I thought the piece was VERY strong; and I really wanted to show at that venue again. It's really a nice place! But I don't know... this is the second year in a row I was rejected; and I thought I had very strong pieces each year. Oh well.
Hmmm... not letting me upload the image right now. I'll post later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid artists get used to rejection...goes with the choice of pursuit.

    ReplyDelete