Thursday, March 20, 2014

artists' self-portraits

I must admit that although I enjoy most artists' self-portraits (I especially like self-portraits by my friend Tom Nettle and Coco Larrain shown below), I have always been puzzled by the motivation to do a self-portrait. I also must admit that the idea of doing a collage self-portrait for a couple years. But I have always been concerned as well with the cliche of self-portraiture. These things being said, I think I am now ready to try my hand at self-portraiture. When I visited my mother this week, she shared with me some old photos of me which included a triplicate of a First Communion photo (remember, I only do collage with "originals"… do multiple copies of an old photos constitute "originals"?). So here's the photo and a preliminary sketch for a self-portrait. This should be fun!




1 comment: