Monday, November 11, 2013

another round of The Memory Project

Last year, the Art Club of Utica College was involved with The Memory Project (www.memoryproject.org) for which portraits are made (i.e., painted or drawn based upon photographs) of children from around the world and distributed back to them (see post from February 26, 2013). Last year the children were from Sierra Leone (Africa). This year the students are involved again. This time, we are doing portraits of children from the Phillipines (based on photos sent to us). I'm not sure if we will know if any of these children lost their lives as a result of Typhoon Haiyan. It certainly has made this project much more emotional for me and I hope that our artwork will be a very small bright spot in what might be a very bleak couple of years for the children in this area. Here is a photo of the child for which I will do a portraiture collage (we are required to obscure the eyes to avoid identification). I hope he is safe. Brings a tear to my eye and makes me feel fortunate to be safe tonight. Proud of the Art Club of UC.

1 comment:

  1. I also hope the children are safe. It looks horrific on TV.

    ReplyDelete