I finished this piece last night. It's the latest in the "Seeking a Brain" series that has emerged from my studio. Each of the pieces in this series includes an image of Ray Bolger, the actor who played the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz. Years ago, I came across a full page of small images of him (needing lots of micro-cutting) in various dance poses in Life magazine. This piece is small format (obviously from the size of my thumb), and I have framed it without a mat (for effect). The piece is entitled, "Finally Arrived at The Emerald City Laser (Seeking a Brain #9)". The title is collage-like itself, as the strike out of "city" is intentional (an allusion to The Emerald City, of course) and the inclusion of a subtitle. It'll take some effort to inform a curator about the intentional nature of the entire title.
Monday, August 24, 2026
Seeking a Brain
I think it's worth mentioning a couple of technical aspects of the creation of this piece as well. This is the interstellar base image that serves as the background of the piece. As you can see, the "laser" is actually a green line that was part of the original image (I think it indicated the area that was enlarged in a later photograph... not sure).
When I used the entire intact image, it resulted in an area in the lower right hand portion that was too "bright" for the composition, in my mind. So I had to carefully cut that portion out and replace it with a darker area of the same interstellar image. But I also thought it was important to maintain the reddish-orange aspect of the image. Here's what it looked like before I "doctored" it to give a darker image in the lower right "window"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment