Saturday, February 13, 2021

Serendipity, Modigliani and eyes

 I have often written in this blog, about serendipity as it relates to collage. Last night when I was experimenting, exploring... playing... I was intrigued by these potential elements for collage. One of the problems with using this model's beautiful face, is that I don't know who she is, nor do I want to actually use her entire face "as is". I'm not really worried about legal repercussions related to copyright; I just don't want to use a contemporary photograph (especially of a model) without manipulation. So I decided to "reach back" into my knowledge of art history as a "source" of inspiration. Since the elements are red and green so far, perhaps I would "borrow" from Amedeo Modigliani paintings and use flat green as the interior of the eyes for this piece. Of course, then the challenge is to find the "correct" green (no easy task) from my collection of sources. Here you can see an example of the green I will probably ultimately use. After I carefully "enucleated" the image (i.e., removed the eyes), I thought, "just for the hell of it", I would put the eyeless element over some other elements. THEN, these images emerged when I placed the eyeless element over an image of a pulley system. Wow... weird! There are lots of possibilities, even with just this single image! And if you're a regular reader of this blog, you know I like weird. So I had to share...








No comments:

Post a Comment