Friday, October 27, 2023

Experimentation through consideration

 I am working on a powerpoint presentation for a talk I am giving at Utica University next week entitled "Collage, Creativity, and The Humanities". I always enjoy talking with folks about collage and the creative process. Sometimes when I am in the middle of an evening of collage, I forget all about taking photos (my mind is in the creativity mode, not the "business" mode); but I think that most of the time, I am cognizant of my desire to document the various intermediate ideas that I have for collage compositions, as I experiment with various elements. While I was looking back at old photos, I came across these and thought they were good examples of my experimentation with considerations of different elements.

It all started with this initial image (from a publication called "The Art Journal" from the 1870s). It struck me because of its intricacy and angle...

So I cut out the "structure" and the mirror component of the image and started experimenting...



This element eventually found it's home in this finished collage...



No comments:

Post a Comment