Wednesday, December 29, 2021

backgrounds and "vibes"

As I have written many times, my collage process (like others, I presume) consists of lots of experimentation. In fact, trial and "error" (and lots of it), and experimentation, is what takes up most of my time in the studio. I LOVE it! Sometimes folks are surprised when I give a presentation and tell them that the vast majority of my collage compositions are not the end-product of some pre-conceived idea that I bring with me to the studio. I consider myself to be an experimenter, and perhaps more importantly, a "recognizer". I feel that I can recognize when elements coalesce into something worth pursuing. It is then that the process of honing and detailing begin. But that occurs late in the creative process. Here is a piece I have been working on over the last couple weeks. I especially wanted to share how changes in a background element, can change the entire "vibe" of a piece. My friend and fellow collagist, Anthony Morgan, always teases me about using so much "space" in the backgrounds of my works... so I thought I would include some of the other options I've tried here (although I will probably end-up with a galactic background in the end).








No comments:

Post a Comment