Thursday, August 12, 2021

Collagist dilemma

I have a bit of a dilemma that I think some fellow collagists might appreciate. And perhaps "dilemma" is too strong of a word (I wish all my problems were this trivial, after all). I have a group of elements that I got years ago that are basically images of Vargas-type pin-up girls (I think "women" would be the better term). They are beautiful -- and larger than a typical magazine page (they are 9" x 12"). On the back of each page is a smaller, black-and-white version of the image along with information about the image. Here's the "dilemma". I have become interested in using the smaller (2.5 x 3.5"), black-and-white version of this particular element because it would fit perfectly into a background substrate I have found. The problem is that -- as an analog collagist -- if I use that image, I basically destroy the larger colored image. I am a "religious" analog collagist (self-imposed, arbitrary restriction, of course), so I won't photocopy the image for use (I know, it's somewhat silly, but I am dedicated to using only original elements). I'm explicitly not looking for any advise, but thought I would post as a point of interest, in terms of my creative process, perhaps ;-)








1 comment:

  1. It's unfortunate but often part of the artistic process to 'destroy'. Most painters go through this and, while often the decision to lose something permanently is disconcerting, perhaps it is best to just do it and move on.

    ReplyDelete