Friday, December 25, 2020

Cellular transfer

 I think I will post two posts today. I will make a "clean" post of the finished work as the next post. I would like to use this post to talk a bit about transfers. As many of you know, transfers are always a bit of a crap shoot, in terms of them turning out satisfactorily. Before I commenced with the transfers on this piece, I did a mini-experiment to determine which would potentially be best: light coating or heavy coating (as well as light heat or heavy heat). I did each of the four possibilities with an image from the same book from which I took the ultimate images. I believe light coating works best (with light and heavy heat not an issue). With that information, I was ready to apply the primary transfer image. It turned out well and I had VERY little (none) "paper ghost" (i.e., when a bit of the paper is left behind in the acrylic coating). With the primary image applied, I decided, for balance, that I would add another transfer. I was SO worried that I would end-up ruing the entire piece. The challenge was that I wanted the next transferred image to appear to be behind the leaves of the tree... but I couldn't cut the tree, because the substrate is not paper, but vintage cardboard (viz. the cheap art you can buy in K-mart). So I used tracing paper (actually, it was wax paper, because I didn't have any tracing paper), to make a line drawing of the tree outline. Of course, compounding the challenge was the necessary "working in reverse" that you have to do with transfers. Anyway, I ended up doing that TWICE... without ruining the piece! I am VERY happy with how it all turned out. But it WAS nerve-wracking!








No comments:

Post a Comment